VIP: VitalSigns for IP
For TCP/IP networks on z/OS mainframes,
VitalSigns for IP provides real-time graphic displays
of network health and traffic levels--at common desktop browsers.
Versatile, Robust, Reliable, Easy to Use
See Real-Time Data Regarding Configuration, Status, and Performance:
- Application status and response times
- FTP, telnet, and socket application traffic
- CSM buffer capacity and utilization
- CPU utilization
- Interface configuration, connections, traffic
- TCP/IP stack configuration and buffer use
- Configuration and status changes for every SNMP node in your network
State-of-the-Art Diagnostic Tools:
- Run complete packet traces on any stack
- Filter trace data to display for specific interfaces, addresses, ports, and/or protocols
- View traces immediately and/or save them to mainframe datasets
- Send ICMP and UDP pings
- Customize alerts to fit your situation
- Send alert notifications to browser and/or Netview
- VIP automatically discovers the local MVS network configuration
- Select and filter event logs for the entire network
- Easily drop individual TCP connections
Intuitive Graphic Interface for IE 5.5+, Netscape 7.x:
- High-level summary screens take the pulse of your entire network
- Easily drill down to specific applications, buffers, interfaces, and stacks
- Quick access to pie, bar, and line charts for recent history on hundreds of fields
- Monitor multiple mainframe hosts from a single screen
- Built from the ground up as a browser-based product
--displays significantly more information on one screen than a 3270-based offering.
VIP Monitors All These System & Network Resources
- FTP, telnet, CSM, and socket-application status, availability, performance
- IBM First Failure data
- ICMP message traffic
- SMF and SNMP record data
- System console messages and control blocks
- TCP/IP connections, interfaces, regions
- Tier 1 stacks and interfaces
Reliable Agent-Server-Browser Architecture:
VIP Agents reside on MVS, OS/390, and z/OS systems,
where they report on the status and configuration
of their hosts--including data on TCP/IP stacks, applications, buffers, and interfaces.
VIP Agents pass data to a VIP Server,
a fully portable service that runs equally well on
Linux, Unix, Windows, or z/OS Unix System Services (USS).
The Server delivers network data in HTML format
to users at common desktop web browsers.
Robust, Secure Architecture
- Redundant access to VIP data in case a communication path is lost
- Monitor multiple MVS systems through a single VIP server, or run redundant servers.
- Ensured data integrity between host and server
- Supports host-level security via RACF (user's option)
- VIP Agents install on z/OS, OS/390, or MVS Systems.
- VIP Servers install on Linux, Unix, Windows NT+, or IBM Unix System Services (USS).
- Server is a pure Java system, fully portable and cross-platform compatible.
- Displays to Netscape 7.x or Internet Explorer 5.5+.
- Installation time, roughly 40 minutes.